Sunday, August 8, 2010

In Guayaquil

Today we head off to Playa Kamala, where we will be doing an intense course in becoming English Teachers. The last couple of days have been in crazy, crazy, Guayaquil. It is not so bad really, but the pace of life here is fast, just taking a taxi feels like you are playing Mario Kart. It also has a vague feeling of menace, but I’ve been told it is no more dangerous than other Ecuadorian cities. I suspect, we are just experiencing the contrast between the cool, calm, sierra cities and the hot, humid and fast costa cities.  Guayaquil is not dissimilar to other large Latin American cities I’ve visited further north, e.g. Guatemala City and San Salvador. One interesting thing about the city is the wild iguanas that live in the parks, particularly Parque Bolivar. These are big lads, many are over a meter long and are not shy. Some of the more idiotic locals feed them peanuts.

Once the teaching training starts on Monday, I’m likely to be very busy, by all accounts it is the most difficult and intense course most people ever undertake, and it goes on for five weeks. But assuming we pass, we will have qualifications that allow us to find jobs in almost any country we wish to. Will post more from the beach, when we get time.
Our route so for

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gra+Helen -All the best with the course - should be a bit different to Birkenhead Tec !!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a British academic who teaches and researches internationally. I have a PhD in Psychology from University College London and I'm an honorary research fellow of the University of Sheffield. During 2012-2013 I taught Psychology and conducted research at Chuo University in Tokyo. However, I am now based in Quito, Ecuador, where I am a professor of psychology at Universidad San Francisco de Quito.