Thursday, August 19, 2010

1/3 of the way to being an English teacher

Well I am now nearly two weeks into the five week CELTA course, and it has not been too bad really. I had received warnings from several sources that it is an incredibly stressful course, but I’ve not found that yet. Although, I have noticed that some people on the course are really suffering mentally. We have all individually taught for 140 minutes so far over 4 lessons. It starts short with 20 minute lessons, the 40 minute lessons, and we start giving 60 minute lessons from next Monday. Next week is also when the first coursework deadlines are, and is supposedly the peak point of course-stress. The classes we teach are to local Ecuadorians who are offered free English lessons. They are all really keen and motivated, we couldn’t ask for better learners while we are being trained. Usually there are between 5 and 10 in each class.


Myself and other trainee teachers, on the way to the training centre, day 1


We have all been stuck on the same beach/mangrove/dune for a fortnight now. It is pretty basic living. There are some shops in the nearby town of Manglaralto, but they don’t stock much and there is a river between us and them. You have to paddle to get there. One of the course trainers, who only started the job two weeks ago, has already packed it in due to the isolation and ‘rustic’ living conditions.There really isn't that much else to blog about, all we do is study, teach and eat, with the occasional walk to a local town to stock up on on water, chocolate and other luxuries.

Walking along the beach to MontaƱita, a gang of dogs came along for the trip




Thanks to Tony Robinson for these two images.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a British academic who teaches and researches internationally. I have a PhD in Psychology from University College London and I'm an honorary research fellow of the University of Sheffield. During 2012-2013 I taught Psychology and conducted research at Chuo University in Tokyo. However, I am now based in Quito, Ecuador, where I am a professor of psychology at Universidad San Francisco de Quito.