Sunday, August 1, 2010

1st Blog

Well I am in an internet cafe in the high Andes, in the city of Loja. This is just a first blog to get things started. Hopefully, I can keep this updated and of interest to friends and anybody else interested in how I get on relocateing my life from England to Ecuador.

So far, Helen and I have just been getting used to the country, and have been here for almost excatly 7 days. Much of the first week was taken up with the burocracy of gainng work permits and Ecudorioan ID cards. Bizzarly, you have to provide your own stationary. For the first attempt, we were sent out of the immigraciion office in Quito to buy envelopes for them to store our paperwork in. In addition, we were sent to a bank to pay in $10 each to the governments account. On return, they took our passports and ushered us out with a ´MaƱana´.

The next day we returned and were sent out to buy more stationary. This time card folders for our application, finally after waiting two hours for the police officer in charge to return from lunch, we were given ID cards.

Now with that sorted we have come to Loja, a city in the Southern sierra. This is a place with several universities, so we are checking it out as a possible place to look for work, once we do our teacher training.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a British academic who teaches and researches internationally. I have a PhD in Psychology from University College London and I'm an honorary research fellow of the University of Sheffield. During 2012-2013 I taught Psychology and conducted research at Chuo University in Tokyo. However, I am now based in Quito, Ecuador, where I am a professor of psychology at Universidad San Francisco de Quito.