Friday, August 6, 2010

From Cuenca to Guayaquil

Today Helen and I have been travelling separately from Cuenca to Guayaquil. She has flown to Quito to collect bags from storage (at the South American Explorers club) and then to take another flight to Guayaquil. I have come direct by bus, so I am now reporting live from a burger bay in Guayaquil airport via my laptop and free Wi-Fi. The wonders of I.T.

My previous experience of long distance bus travel in Ecuador wasn’t good. But this time it was a great journey. The route from Cuenca high in the Andes to Guayaquil on the pacific coast takes about 4 hours and gives views of spectacular scenery. First you rise high in the mountains and then, start to descend. At this point, looking down out of the bus window, you can see the clouds.

Eventually after half an hour of twisty downhill roads, you meet the clouds. It took twenty minutes to pass through, what is probably now best called fog. But when we emerged the Andes were gone, the land was flat and the vegetation had changed from sparse to tropical. The fog was now above us, and probably now best called clouds. You just don’t get bus journeys like that in Sheffield.

View from the bus window

1 comment:

  1. 42 people were killed in a bus crash out of Cuenca a few days ago, probably a very similar bus and route that I was on.

    It isn't even mentioned on the BBC Latin American News web-site. Presumably, as there were no gringos on it.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a British academic who teaches and researches internationally. I have a PhD in Psychology from University College London and I'm an honorary research fellow of the University of Sheffield. During 2012-2013 I taught Psychology and conducted research at Chuo University in Tokyo. However, I am now based in Quito, Ecuador, where I am a professor of psychology at Universidad San Francisco de Quito.