Saturday, February 18, 2012

Teaching English (and Psychology, in English) in Ecuador


I arrived in Ecuador in July 2010, with a somewhat vague idea of working as a teacher. Nineteen months later, I've trained as a teacher, taught at two universities, two language institutes and now stopped teaching. Stopped teaching here in Quito that is. I'm now preparing to move to Tokyo, to take up a lectureship at Chuo University.

Finding work as an English teacher in Ecuador isn’t difficult; there is a constant need for native speakers. But the conditions and pay will vary greatly. Backpackers turning up with little experience may receive as little as $5 per hour working at language institutes. The hours will be long but not too taxing, big employers here are English First and Wall Street. Those with teaching experience, or just the knowhow to find better jobs, could earn up to $20 per hour (e.g. at UDLA). I worked, for a while, at Southern Cross who employ only people with a CELTA qualification, their pay is somewhat better than other language institutes, but still less than the ‘real jobs’ in, e.g., universities and international schools.

Southern Cross also runs the most exotic CELTA training programme. CELTA is the Certificate in Language Teaching to Adults, awarded by the University of Cambridge. It is an entry level training course, usually over four weeks. The Ecuadorian one is different, it is taught on a pacific beach. All things considered, it is probably cheaper than ones taught in European or North American cities. I did the Southern Cross beach CELTA and they hired me to teach shortly afterwards. I didn’t even ask for a job, I was just asked to pop in and then given a schedule (starting in two hours). But then I never left either. They just stopped giving me schedules. This is the issue with language institutes, they are inherently flaky.

I never really wanted any language institute work anyway. My plan all along was to work in universities, as this is what I’d done all my life in the UK (I'm a research psychologist). I was hired fairly quickly to teach English at Universidad San Francisco de Quito (USFQ). But what you find with the universities in Ecuador is that they don’t like to take people on full-time, so multiple part-time positions are the norm.

Me with psychology students at USFQ

I was also able to get part-time psychology teaching work at USFQ. In fact, they were very friendly and accommodating, and ran two courses especially for me to teach, in English: ‘Health Psychology’ and ‘Depression’. USFQ is possibly the only university in the country with enough English speaking students to make this possible. I could have taught elsewhere easily, if I could have taught in Spanish. People with PhDs here are quite rare and sought after. However, if you don't speak Spanish well, opportunities  are limited, though one other option for English speaking psychologists (or linguists) is teaching on ‘Applied Linguistics’ courses. These are really just training courses for Ecuadorians who want to teach English professionally. They are taught mainly in English. I very nearly took up a part-time position teaching psycholinguistics on one of these courses at PUCE.


However, Christmas eve bought the news that I have a new job in Japan, so I pulled out of the PUCE psycholinguistics job, and cancelled my courses at USFQ. I still have some psychology research going on here. As a psychologist that is another option. More of that in my next blog.

7 comments:

  1. I know how to monetize your blog search on facebook - Yoogurn's money making

    ReplyDelete
  2. hı, ı'm trying to learn Spanish on duolingua and aiming for ecuador in Julyaugust - fleeing Turkey and a great unıversity job teachıng prep English . ı am a young 50+ and would be interested to know of unıversity opportunities ın Ecuador .Thanks for the blog, C

    ReplyDelete
  3. hı, ı'm trying to learn Spanish on duolingua and aiming for ecuador in Julyaugust - fleeing Turkey and a great unıversity job teachıng prep English . ı am a young 50+ and would be interested to know of unıversity opportunities ın Ecuador .Thanks for the blog, C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us At :mrhamdnloanoffer@gmail.com
    LOAN SERVICES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:
    ================================
    *Commercial Loans.
    *Personal Loans.
    *Business Loans.
    *Investments Loans.
    *Development Loans.
    *Acquisition Loans .
    *Construction loans.
    *Business Loans And many More:
    Contact Us At :mrhamdnloanoffer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Email us:urgentloan22@gmail.com
    Application Form:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....
    Email us (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello everyone, really dreams do come through, i no longer have to apply for loans and worry over my bad credit scores, i got my blank ATM card after so many trails all thanks to Mr George, if you are thinking if its actually real the answer is YES. Mr George is very good at his job i applied for the card and got it shipped to my country 5 days later and i have been using the card for two months its totally untraceable, my life has transformed from paring an apartment in the slums to purchasing an executive condo with luxury furniture's and now my children can now attend quality schools, Mr George is an angel sent from God to the poor and needy. i am writing this with tears of joy as Mr George has removed my family from the life of want to the life of satisfaction. you can contact him through this email: blankatm402@gmail.com
    BEST WISHES

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you need a financial help? Are you in any financial crisis or do you need funds to start up your own business? Do you need funds to settle your debt or pay off your bills or start a good business? Do you have a low credit score and you are finding it hard to obtain capital services from local banks and other financial institutes? Here is your chance to obtain a financial services from our company. We offer the following finance to individuals-
    *Commercial finance
    *Personal finance
    *Business finance
    *Construction finance
    *Business finance And many More:
    and many more at 3% interest rate;
    Contact Us Via Email: Personalloanesay@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a British academic who teaches and researches internationally. I have a PhD in Psychology from University College London and I'm an honorary research fellow of the University of Sheffield. During 2012-2013 I taught Psychology and conducted research at Chuo University in Tokyo. However, I am now based in Quito, Ecuador, where I am a professor of psychology at Universidad San Francisco de Quito.