Saturday, January 7, 2012

Last Day in Colombia

Today we set off back to Quito, by bus from Popayan. It is going to take ages. At least four buses and a border crossing.

Our last days in Colombia were during Popayan's 'Blancos y Negros' festival. Supposedly a celebration of racial diversity, it is mainly a big fight where people hurl water bombs, throw talc and squirt 'fun foam' at each other. Some people carry pots of paint to smear on the faces of strangers. It's loco. Below are a few photos from the festival.
Pavement skirmish

Foam spray attack from a balcony


I might have got somewhat
involved in the fun

Group mayhem at an open-air concert
A drive-by foaming


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a British academic who teaches and researches internationally. I have a PhD in Psychology from University College London and I'm an honorary research fellow of the University of Sheffield. During 2012-2013 I taught Psychology and conducted research at Chuo University in Tokyo. However, I am now based in Quito, Ecuador, where I am a professor of psychology at Universidad San Francisco de Quito.