Friday, April 22, 2011

Lima

I've only been here in Lima for two days, but I've packed a lot in. I had been expecting a crowded, dirty and polluted city. But in fact Lima is surprisingly pleasant, at least in the areas I reached. I've been staying at a hostel in Miraflores, a suburb of the city. It is very different from Quito, there seems to be no significant crime problem and the place is very developed. Also it is on the coast (with a long malecon) so there is a refreshing ocean breeze. Overall, a very pleasant place to stay.

Copies of ´Nazca Lines´ designs on the malecon, Miraflores, Lima


Miraflores is about 15 kilometers from the historical centre of Lima, but it is easy to reach on the modern bus service. In fact the public transport is better than anything I've seen in the UK. I understand that Lima, like Peru overall, is still a divided place, divided between riches and poverty. There are also huge squatter camps in the greater Lima area. Nevertheless, the capital city is impressively developed in general.

Plaza Mayor, Lima


A dog sleeping under an armored vehicle, near the government palace, Lima


Well, now my stay here is finishing, I'm at Lima airport awaiting a flight to Santiago in Chile, and then on to Easter Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a British academic who teaches and researches internationally. I have a PhD in Psychology from University College London and I'm an honorary research fellow of the University of Sheffield. During 2012-2013 I taught Psychology and conducted research at Chuo University in Tokyo. However, I am now based in Quito, Ecuador, where I am a professor of psychology at Universidad San Francisco de Quito.