Friday, September 10, 2010

Teacher I am

So I have finished the course today, and passed. One of our group has already been hired to go and work in Puerto Viejo, starting Monday. They urgently needed a British teacher which they didn’t have, so the first Brit to accept it got it. All the Brits on the course were virtually begged to take the job. That is the way it is here, as I’m a native English speaker with the teaching qualification, I am a sought after commodity. If they have foolishly advertised the course as being taught by a British born English teacher, then more so. But I’m hanging on for a University job in the Sierra. Unfortunately, my interview with a university on Monday has been cancelled. Somebody who could get to the capital for the interview before me now has that job. But I have plenty of other options, Quito is full of universities, and they all need a steady supply of English teachers.

Teachers and trainers after the last class of the course, the thing behind is the classroom.


As expected, I eventually found a scorpion in my cabana. A large chap, but he was looking pretty ill, I suspect the owners of Playa Kamala has used insecticide, as it was starting to look like a plague. And that wasn’t the only biological challenge sent to us this week, there has also been an outbreak of vomiting illness. I am one of the four people who have managed to avoid it, that is out 12 trainee teachers. But that is pretty much finished with and we’ve all passed the course. So tonight we party, and go our separate ways in the morning. For me it is to Quito.
This one was half dead when I found him on the floor of my cabana. He is huddled up so looks smaller than he would if healthy, but you can see how long his tail his. That packs quite a nasty punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a British academic who teaches and researches internationally. I have a PhD in Psychology from University College London and I'm an honorary research fellow of the University of Sheffield. During 2012-2013 I taught Psychology and conducted research at Chuo University in Tokyo. However, I am now based in Quito, Ecuador, where I am a professor of psychology at Universidad San Francisco de Quito.